One of the most exciting opportunities offered to Manna 4 Lempira sponsors is the chance to send a backpack with items you select to your sponsored children in Honduras! In this post, you will find all of the details and guidelines that you need to know to make BACKPACK SEASON 2018 a big success!
FILLING THE BAGS
1. You may choose to allow us to provide your child with the required backpack and filler items. These items are included through your sponsorship dollars. If you do this, you may still send up to a 2-gallon sized ziplock bag full of extra items to be included in your child's bag. We would love for every child to receive some extra fun and useful items in their bags.
2. You may provide your child with the backpack of your choice and fill it with the required items and extras. If you leave out any of the required items, you can let us know that when you TAG YOUR BAG using the checklist that we provide.
What items do we ask for all bags to include?
(8) 1 subject notebooks--spiral bound or composition style
(10) pens for grades 6 and up
(1) quality pencil sharpener, covered
(1) pair of scissors, age appropriate
(2) glue sticks
(2) boxes of crayons OR (2) boxes of colored pencils for grades 6 and up
(1) ruler, wooden preferred
Toothpaste and (2) toothbrushes
Washcloth and bar soap, in a ziplock bag or plastic wrap
Lice comb, Comb, or hairbrush
Deodorant, 6th grade and up
Here are some suggestions for extra items to include in bags. Some of these items may not seem fun, but they are very useful.
Lightweight Jacket or Fleece
Socks (white knee-high for girls, navy for boys) and Underwear
Plastic dishes and utensils
Jewelry Making sets (or beads with cord)
Purse with lip gloss and other small items
Watercolor paint set
WHAT NOT TO DO
It is best not to overstuff bags. The priority items are the school supplies, and room must be left in the bag for the mandatory items. You should also keep in mind that the children often have to walk a long way to get home. For this reason, it is best to avoid heavy or cumbersome items.
Do not send expensive items like phones or tablets. While they would be appreciated, we want to make sure that gifts are somewhat equitable across the program.
Do not send money, perishable items, food, candy, or liquids.
Please do not attach an extra bag of items. We want backpack distribution to be a fun day for every child, so we ask sponsors to limit their gifts to what will fit inside the backpack or in the pockets on the outside of the bag. Should you have a question, please message the Manna Page to get clarification.
TAGGING THE BAG
This is a very important step! To ensure that the correct child receives the correct bag, each backpack must be labeled with a clear, plastic tag attached with a zip tie. Inside the tag, you should include a photo of your child along with his or her NAME, PROGRAM, and CHILD NUMBER. In addition, please print and include the emailed template that we are sending to all sponsors. This template will include a check list of all the required items.
We ask for each sponsor to check off the required items that are INCLUDED in the bag and leave blank the boxes beside any omitted items. That way, we can see at a glance what items need to be added to the bag without opening carefully packed bags. Should you chose to use one of the backpacks that we provide and send a large ziplock bag, we ask you to tape the BAG TAG to the EXTERIOR of the ziplock bag. We will zip tie your tag to the child's backpack after we add the items you sent.
Shipping and Deadlines
All Items must be received no later than SEPTEMBER 15.
If you wish to ship your items, please mail them to:
Manna 4 Lempira
511 Oak Trail
Hampton, GA 30228
You may have the option of passing along your items to Allen and Trish Sowers as they travel across the US this fall. To see if you can arrange pick up, please message the Manna Page.